Search This Blog

Monday, February 6, 2012

So What Is a Mission Trip?

Can you believe I have never been on a mission trip? I have supported many missionaries in various ways over the past 30+ years, but never have gone myself.

Yes, some have said my life is a mission trip, but that is different, for I live in (and sometimes for) my routine, and just do what there is to do.

Going on a mission trip means deliberately setting aside time and self interest to put others' needs first. When Shanthi told me she was leading a team from her church to come here to Uganda, to work along side a well-digging team and to do vacation bible school, I thought that was wonderful....especially since I'd get to see her. Then she asked me to come along. I said yes, not realizing really what it would mean.

Having been to rural villages here before, I had some idea of what I would find. So I took my thread and needle and seam ripper along so that I could mend clothes for the kids. That was the full extent of my planning. While all the other team members, for their first trip to Africa or first mission trip, had read some books, had conversations with Shanthi and with Chad, organized according to their checklists and packed up essentials, including flashlights, mosquito repellant, etc.

So here are some shots of us at work and play

Madison playing football with the kids

Melissa pumping water into the jerry cans (50 pumps to fill a 20 ltr can)


Shanthi and Karen holding down the pipe for Madison and Melissa to cut perforations over 700 cuts by a hacksaw for each pipe piece



Russ and Karen digging with an auger at the first sample hole

Me, mending clothes


Karen decorating the Sunday School Room

Karen teaching children about Jesus



On our last day the well at the Gulu Baptist Church broke. The Steams of Life team went into action and had it repaired and working in under 3 hours. A great relief for the 90 families around who use is almost daily!



All in all, 6 days for God to work in and through us to bring His blessings to all/each of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment