Search This Blog

Thursday, September 13, 2012

New dog

Kilo is a perfect gentleman. Doesn't cause trouble, is quiet and well mannered, helps out where he can. A few days after Tiger died I went to Uganda's one and only pet shelter to talk with the manager there about my need for a guard type dog. Shiraf would be really noisy if he were the only dog here, not to mention spoiled.

After looking at puppies, disabled dogs, barking dogs, nursing dogs and wondering a bit what I was doing, we went to a quieter part of the compound. We talked about the one dog that I liked at first sight. He let me know she was so friendly as to almost invite the thieves in. He then pointed out a dog he thought would be a good dog for guarding. I wasn't too impressed. He then showed me a very alert, strong looking dog, about 3 years old. He was colored like a Springer Spaniel, but with short course hair all over.

After checking with the driver, who agreed we could try to take him in the car, without a cage, we loaded up for the 45 ride home. Kilo laid quietly on the seat with one of his feet on my legs as we sat together on the back seat. When we came home, he went fairly easily on a leash into the compound, where Siraf began to bark furiously over the intrusion.

We are 2 1/2 weeks along now and they get on very well. They take turns keeping the quard company at the house next door and sleeping on my front step. Everyone seems to like this new guy very much.

So glad the shelter is there and knows its animal well.

No comments:

Post a Comment